Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Summer of 2011 Bucket List

Between the planning and execution stages of Camp Mom, I am having a hard time translating our experiences into something remotely blog-worthy this summer and thought that a revisit to my original summer bucket list—with some minor updates for 2011--might provide the jump start I need and remind me why I once again opted not to send the rug rats to camp this year:

THE RULES

  • Prepare a draft schedule of age-appropriate activities and adventures in and around New York City for my kids (ages six, four, and two) 3-4 days a week, every week, for June and August, subject to weather, changes in attitude, or any number of other unforeseen circumstances. A working schedule is key to the success of my venture and without it, I am likely to crumble within the first week or two of summer vacation
  • Tie in relevant books and movies to our regular expeditions
  • Record our adventures electronically in a blog, my lack of technological savviness notwithstanding

THE CATEGORIES

  • Broadway and other live shows and performances
  • Gardens
  • Museums
  • Neighborhoods and walking tours
  • Playgrounds/parks
  • Zoos
  • Other (this includes things like bowling, the Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State Building, and FAO Schwartz)
  • Out-of-town daytrips

THE RESOURCES

  • City Walks With Kids: New York 50 Adventures on Foot by Elissa Stein
  • Fodor’s Around New York City With Kids, 4th Edition
  • Storied City: A Children’s Book Walking Tour Guide of New York City by Leonard S. Marcus
  • Time Out New York Kids: monthly magazine and website (www.newyorkkids.timeout.com
  • New York Family: monthly magazine and website (www.newyorkfamily.com/newyork/)

No comments:

Post a Comment